Jimmy Bear Cheney
Jimmy Bear or James Cheney(B.A.Dip.Ed) as he is really called began life as a High School Teacher in Perth WA, he taught music languages and english until coming to Sydney in 1985 to pursue his dream of being able to make a living just as a songwriter and live performance musician.
Since then he has been signed to international publishing companies E.M.I and Polygram.
Been nominated for an Aria Award for Best Songwriter.
Played lead guitar for american blues legend Bo Diddley at the Entertainment Centre.
Was chosen to record the official fundraising album in 1998 for the Red Nose Charity. This album featured all top aussie musos with Jimmy Bear as songwriter and singer.
Jimmy Bear plays an average of 170 shows per year and career highlights include:
- 25 year residency at Kings Cross legendary bar Omallys. Still going strong in 2016.
- 9 year residency at Parramatta’s main live venue P.J.Gallaghers every Sunday with the White Brothers.
- 3 year residency at the Observer Hotel in the Rocks.
- 4 years of live gigging at the Eastwood Hotel.
- Australian country music legend Slim Dusty recorded Jimmys classic song……The Last Ride…..
- International comedian and regular on ABC TV Glynn Nicholis recorded a fun kids album written by Jimmy Bear……Called…..Glynn Nicholis and the Funky Fossils
- Jimmy recorded the official 1998 fundraising album for the Red Nose Charity…..A fun kids album about dinosaurs
Jimmy Bear is currently building a professional style recording studio and will launch a new label in Australia shortly. The emphasis will be on great musicians and great songs.
The new record label will also fill the gap for many bands and musicians who can’t get a major recording contract but who are still quality musicians. Stay tuned for exciting news …
Smarter Than Your Average Bear